Places of Learning by Alan Rowles
Halfway Nursery Infant School at the crossroads opened in 1877. Originally known as Halfway Board School, it was built at a cost of £3,400.
A quarter of a mile south of the crossroads, on the same side of Rotherham Road, was Eckington County Secondary School. Opened in 1930, the school buildings were set back about 200 metres from the road with the intervening land used as the main playing fields.
(It is perhaps worth mentioning at this point that, whereas for centuries Halfway was in Derbyshire, boundary changes now mean that it is under the auspices of Sheffield.)
The Secondary School later became Eckington Grammar School, and in 1957 Westfield Lower School. Closure came in 1988 with demolition taking place the following year.